Abegweit First Nation’s Mawiomi
Our first Mawiomi was held back in 1999. Since then our Mawiomi has grown in numbers and has been a positive annual event for our community and also the surrounding communities. Many people attend our gathering from across Atlantic Canada and the United States. We welcome everyone to attend and participate in the sharing of our Mi’kmaq teachings.
15th Annual Mawiomi June 8th & 9th, 2013 – Scotchfort PEI (Mawiomi Grounds)
Open to the Public
Breakfast and Supper Provided!
Washroom & Shower Units
Canteen open 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Basic Powwow/Mawiomi Protocol
Here are some basic rules that need to be followed when attending our Mawiomi:
- Absolutely NO Alcohol or Drugs allowed on or near the powwow grounds
- The Master of Ceremonies will let you know when you can take photos or videos. If you have any questions you can ask the Master of Ceremonies he/she will direct you to the person to talk to if they can not answer your question.
- Ask permission to take any dancer’s picture.
- Dress appropriately as this is a sacred event. Bare-feet will not be acceptable.
- Children should be looked after at all times. They should not be in the Arbor unless they have permission from the drummers.